Can you imagine being able to test, analyze, manipulate and optimize a product, equipment, or process without having to modify the original one? That is what a Digital Twin Organization does! Based on technological resources, it’s a virtual copy that lets you observe the real behaviors in a totally digital environment. In addition to testing, with a digital twin, you can make changes to a project and simulate variations.
With the advance in software and data and information automation, which enabled the digital execution of processes, digital twins evolved to a new level, that of an organization. Nowadays, we can consider that almost everything can have its digital twin.
Can you imagine creating a twin in your organization to help analyze performance and improve management? We’ll tell you all about it.
What is Digital Twin Organization?
Digital Twin Organization is a digital and dynamic representation of an organization. It’s a tool to be used to support the implementation of change and innovation. A DTO allows you to analyze and adjust whatever is necessary within a virtual model, where modifications happen much more easily than when they need to be implemented in practice right away.
Using a Digital Twin in an Organization greatly reduces the risks of mistakes in decision-making, because it enables updates to be made consciously, providing managers with real-time information about the company’s operation, resource utilization, customer satisfaction, and precise and measurable results about a given modification. In other words, it focuses on strategic objectives and internal processes so that performance is as good as possible.
Having a Digital Twin provides an infinity of competitive advantages for the organization that knows how to structure it and make good use of its possibilities.
What is its importance within a company?
A digital twin is useful to measure how a change may impact or contribute to the strategies, goals, and performance being positively achieved, making the path to success much more measurable.
Its importance lies in the possibility to analyze how today’s decisions, when implemented, will impact the company’s future, especially in issues related to usefulness, acceptance, and utilization. A digital twin provides attainment of goals and understanding of how the organization works.
After its creation, teams can analyze data and learn about internal systems and processes, anticipating failures, bottlenecks, or errors, signaling which areas need a higher level of attention.
A DTO is conducive to benchmarking, as it has both current and past performance data. With the performance KPIs, it is possible to have a holistic view and observe in detail each transaction that the company has gone through based on past data and projections for the future, supporting more coherent and cohesive decisions to the proposed objectives. It is also used for training, deeply covering the activities performed, the guidelines, and the paths the company wants to take.
By now you have understood that with a DTO you first implement something in the virtual world, to be able to review scenarios and options, making adjustments and changes in an easy way, before applying it in the real world.
This tool provides clear performance data, identifying areas of inefficiency or weakness, and helps with strategic planning, process optimization, and overall organizational improvement.
Why have a Digital Twin Organization?
The basis in having a DTO is to align goals and operations, improving processes and ways of working. Among other great reasons to adhere to DTO are:
- Data available on processes and the opportunity to improve them even before they are applied, reducing costs;
- Possibility of using artificial intelligence to increase operational efficiency;
- Holistic view of the company’s tasks, activities, processes, and strategies;
- Simulation of scenarios to increase productivity and efficiency;
- Discover the root cause of issues that deserve attention in internal processes;
- Add value and improve customer experience with journey mapping;
- Risk reduction in project implementation and greater incentive for digital transformation.
How to build a digital twin
Obviously, creating a Digital Twin of an Organization requires creating an accurate and comprehensive virtual representation of it. Although it requires an extensive platform and architecture, the returns obtained are very advantageous.
To start a DTO project, it’s a good idea to begin with a small pilot project of an area you consider crucial and then gradually increase its scope. There are some fundamental items that compose it, such as purpose, mapping, performance, situation, and decision. Enabling the creation of goals, KPIs, performance monitoring, and planning, so that the changes maximize benefits and results.
To build a Digital Twin Organization, start with a critical area:
- Model the organization, for this, use formalized models and automation to import performance and workflow data. Automated processes facilitate the process, dispensing with their manual construction, and because they have been mapped with a focus on the activity, unnecessary steps have already been identified and abstracted. It is necessary to design the future to guide decisions and create the strategic direction, operations, and changes of the company;
- Add process and operational data that is specific and useful to your organization, such as that product, customer experience, activity and project performance, productivity, costs, and life cycle. Before adding information, question its accuracy, precision, completeness, timeliness, consistency, and whether it can generate opportunities for improvement, so focus on quality, relevant, and up-to-date real-time data;
- Visualize and analyze the company globally, a DTO will be enriched over time, to analyze it consider scenarios, financial parameters, performance and market share, the stage the product or service is at, bottlenecks, failures, compliance, data use, vulnerabilities, and many other aspects;
- Control and make necessary changes – based on the previous steps, this is the time to make decisions to direct, control, and change the company to an improved format. Consider small changes. Since organizations are in a very volatile environment, plans and strategies should be reviewed periodically;
- Follow-up to improve results – input and update data to improve the efficiency of a DTO, making it more consistent, fed back, and consistent with the reality presented. If necessary, recalibrate to make the data easy to understand. Analyze mainly what the state of your tool is technical.
A DTO is an ongoing process that can reduce uncertainty and enable safer change with less impact.
Tell us, have you ever heard of or used a Digital Twin Organization? What do you think about this technology? Use the comments, we want to know your opinion!